I started making this quick and easy recipe when I was in my second year of college, and I haven’t stopped.
As a college student and, frankly, someone who doesn’t necessarily want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen in the morning, this recipe has become my go-to breakfast for days when I need to be out the door in under an hour. It is quick to prepare and cook, it contains a minimal amount of ingredients and, most importantly, it’s healthy and delicious!
One of the aspects I particularly love about this recipe — aside from how simple it is to make — is the fact that it is very easy to customize and add or take out ingredients depending on how you are feeling that day, as well as what you have on hand in the fridge. Each slight variation in the recipe can make it taste like an entirely different meal, and with little to no effort at all.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and are able to incorporate it into your own life!
Serving Size: 2 people
- Public Goods extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of frozen hash browns
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 can of Public Goods black beans
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup of pico de gallo or salsa
1. Heat oil in a medium-sized pan over medium heat.
2. Once oil has coated the pan, add the hash browns.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Stir periodically so the hash browns cook evenly.
5. When the hash browns look slightly golden, rinse and drain the black beans and add them to the pan. Mix periodically until the beans are warm.
6. Once the beans are warm, transfer the contents from the pan to a bowl.
7. Top with sliced avocado and pico de gallo and enjoy!
I make this recipe every single week, without fail. Even if you are not the most gifted cook, I promise that this recipe is foolproof.
Add sour cream, extra spices you prefer, or other veggies for a completely different taste. If you decide you want to try this recipe out, don’t forget to document the experience and tag Public Goods on social media!
What are some of your favorite quick and healthy breakfast recipes? We’d love to know.
Download Our Free Guide to Sustainable Living.
From reducing waste to recycling and upcycling, our e-book shows simple ways to make choices you can feel good about.