Need the perfect kickstart to your day? Look no further!
The gradual energy boost from matcha combined with the clarifying effects of CBD make this drink the perfect recipe for a guaranteed good morning.
I’m super sensitive to caffeine, so I’ve been drinking matcha as a substitute for coffee for almost a year now. I also use CBD often for pain and anxiety relief. When I started seeing CBD matcha drinks pop up in trendy coffee shops, I just had to see if this combo lives up to the hype.
Spoiler alert: It totally does — and I’m going to tell you how to make it at home for a fraction of the cost!
Why Try Matcha and CBD Together?
If you’re a matcha lover like me, you may already know that this delicious green powder is packed with health benefits.
Unlike coffee, matcha releases caffeine over the course of six to eight hours for a more balanced energy boost. Matcha also contains catechins, a class of antioxidants that may help prevent chronic disease. When you drink matcha, you’re consuming the whole tea leaf, which means you’re getting more nutrients and antioxidants than you would by steeping green tea leaves.
Matcha may also promote healthy liver function, heart health, brain function, and boost metabolism. In short, you should feel pretty darn good about making matcha part of your daily routine!
OK, you may be thinking, but what’s the deal with CBD?
CBD is a chemical compound found in the cannabis plant, Cannabis sativa. It’s non-psychoactive (in other words, it won’t get you high), is known to be a pain reliever and has even been used to treat mental illnesses such as anxiety and depression, as well as neurological disorders such as epilepsy. If you’re a CBD newbie, check out our in-depth guide to CBD here.
Although I love starting my day with a caffeine kick, the stimulating effects of caffeine can bring out the worst in my anxiety and actually make it more difficult for me to focus. Adding CBD to my morning matcha helps me benefit from the energy high while keeping a clear, relaxed mind — the best of both worlds!
How to Make a CBD Matcha Latte at Home
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- 6-8oz milk of choice
- About 2 tablespoons hot water (180-190 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 1 dropper of CBD oil (I find that one dropper works pretty well for me, but you can check out this article to determine your serving size based on your weight and other factors)
1. Whisk a teaspoon of matcha powder in a bowl or mug with a splash of water, heated to 180-190 degrees Fahrenheit. For best results, use a bamboo whisk in a ‘W’ motion; in a pinch, a spoon or fork works, too. Whisk until frothy and all the matcha powder is dissolved.
2. Add the CBD oil and whisk it in.
3. Meanwhile, heat and froth your milk of choice. If you don’t have a milk frother, you can heat your milk then shake it inside a mason jar for 30-60 seconds until it’s foamy. I find that oat milk pairs really well with matcha.
4. If needed, transfer matcha to a mug.
5. Pour milk over matcha. Stir and enjoy!
To make an iced version, do steps 1 and 2, then pour cold milk into a glass with ice cubes and top off with matcha. This gives you that pretty green swirl action (and makes for a cute Instagram shot).
If you try this at home, let us know how it turned out!
Download Our Free Guide to Sustainable Living.
From reducing waste to recycling and upcycling, our e-book shows simple ways to make choices you can feel good about.