One of my family’s favorite comfort foods is a warm bowl of chili.
While we’re constantly experimenting with the meat and spices to achieve the most satisfying and heartwarming chili (and clean out the fridge), we’re all particular to a thick, hearty black bean chili. Making and enjoying a warm bowl of black bean chili on a cold night just feels like home.
I hope you enjoy our recipe and are able to adopt it into your own family!
Beef Black Bean Chili
Serves Size: 4 people
- 1 onion
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced or diced
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1 can of black beans
- ½ can whole kernel corn
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons masa
- Juice of ½ a lime
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon of cumin
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- olive oil
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Dice one onion and mince 3 to 4 cloves of garlic (based on preference). Chop and add the onion, garlic and peppers to the pot and cook until soft.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place 1 pound of ground beef into the skillet and cook until the meat is browned but not firm.
3. Add the ground beef and one can of black beans to the pot.
4. Dice 1 can of whole peeled tomatoes.
5. Add diced tomatoes and ½ can of corn to the pot.
6. Add 2 tablespoons for masa to thicken the mixture.
7. Add the juice of ½ of a lime (or 1 small lime) to the pot.
8. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 25-30 mins.
9. After 25 minutes, check the mixture. Add water accordingly if the chili appears too thick.
10. Add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder, 2 tablespoon of cumin, 2 teaspoons of chipotle chili powder, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 1 teaspoon of paprika to the mixture.
11. Salt and pepper the chili, to taste.
12. Turn the heat very low. Let the flavors sit for approximately an hour and a half.
13. Take the chili off the heat after an hour and a half. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
14. Serve chili with tortilla chips and enjoy!
Download Our Free Guide to Sustainable Living.
From reducing waste to recycling and upcycling, our e-book shows simple ways to make choices you can feel good about.