Instagram can provide a wealth of knowledge, ideas and inspiration just as easily as it can conjure up jealousy, negativity and thinly veiled body shaming.
Like everything else in life, it depends on what you consume. In this ‘content is king’ digital reality we live in, it can be hard to distinguish the helpful and uplifting from the useless and low key depressing.
It’s also worth pointing out that the clutter filled Insta-world (and the wellness industry as a whole) often leans into a narrow and privileged snapshot of what wellness should look like (read: $10 lattes, exclusive gym memberships or personal trainers and high-priced skin care regimens). Read on for our list of out of the box influencers who promote inclusive, holistic and accessible approaches to wellness and lifestyle design.
1. Lauren Ash (@hellolaurenash), is a Chicago-based writer, editor and yoga and meditation teacher. Ash founded a holistic wellness platform and podcast for marginalized communities and spreads light with each post. Each day she interacts with followers with a focus on overcoming adversity, lifting others up and living with authenticity.
Follow for: inspirational guidance and positive vibes
2. Jessamyn Stanley (@mynameisjessamyn) is a body positive yoga expert and author of the book, “Every Body Yoga,” a work aimed at changing the largely white and thin face of yoga by tapping into her mission of making the practice more accessible to all. Stanley’s straightforward talk and show-by-example method of changing the dynamic of inclusive beauty standards inspires us all.
Follow for: honest social commentary peppered with **adult** language
3. Up All Night (@upallnight.fyi) is a community of NYC-based women trying to figure out their place in this city — and the world. Broken down into relatable sections, this website and corresponding Instagram aims to give women a place to speak and relate to others about the issues that keep them Up All Night. While the focus is on understanding mental health issues, this blog also features tips on how to stay healthy physically.
Follow for: relatable, raw emotions and stories
4. Girls Night In (@girlsnightinclub) is a newsletter and community for women who would rather stay in than partake in the typical “girls night out” each Friday night. This Instagram account is chock-full of book suggestions, DIY self care regiments, clean beauty routines and pretty, simple images and quotes to remind the reader that staying in and loving yourself is more than OK.
Follow for: awesome book recommendations
5. Rich Roll (@richroll) is a force in the vegan and wellness world. He hosts a thought-provoking podcast that consists of interviewing forward-thinking minds about health, nutrition, fitness and spirituality. This ultrarunner and author has penned a few plant-based cookbooks with his wife, whom he also host wellness retreats alongside.
Follow for: intense conversations and educational tidbits
6. Frances Cannon (@frances_cannon) is a queer, Aussie-based artist who preaches radical self-love. Her seemingly simplistic drawings, words and photographs center around honesty, body positivity for all shapes, sizes and genders, and cultivating a strong, uplifting spirit.
Follow for: body positive inspo
7. Joanne Encarnacion (@gofitjo) is a tatted up bay area-based lifestyle coach who gives us much-needed real talk on the toughness of marriage and parenting, as well as her take on our society’s sometimes problematic definition of health.
Follow for: wellness challenges that won’t kill you, recipes, realness.
8. Alternative Travelers (@alternativetravelers) is run by a vegan couple who live their lives in a constant state of sustainable travel. Their minimum-to-zero-waste strategies and vegan eating tips are refreshing because they manage to do it all on a modest budget.
Follow for: budget friendly tips for sustainable, slow travel and vegan eats
That’s a wrap, folks! Let us know which of these wellness gurus resonates with you most and brings some healthy pep into your life.
In compiling this list we were overwhelmed by how many incredible people are posting in this space – and we’re all ears for recommendations! Email us and let us know your top three go-to accounts for wellness inspiration at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can share your insights and possibly highlight your favorites in the future.
The highest quality for the lowest cost.
Premium, healthy, sustainable products delivered right to your door. Free shipping on orders $45+Try 14 Days Free