Whether you’re wearing it for yourself or someone else, few things can make you feel more beautiful than some lovely lingerie.
Dressing up your feminine bits has been common since the late 19th century, and although the details have changed (bye-bye ankle length bloomers, hello thongs), the tradition holds strong.
Sadly, few things are more disheartening than trying to find said “lovely lingerie” in sizes that actually FIT, and good luck trying to find cute panties and bralettes that aren’t made in the highly un-sustainable fast-fashion industry. Suddenly, you may find yourself judging your figure according to retail norms and developing all kinds of yucky self-criticisms while feeling badly about the impact that date-night lingerie has on the planet.
While a growing number of brands have popped up in recent years that aim to help people and the planet by focusing on ethically made goods, ethical bras and panties are much harder to come by. And, as it turns out, bra sizes don’t start at 34A nor do they end at 38 DD, and boobies come in as many shapes and sizes as there are letters in the alphabet. So why is it so tough to find anything you actually want to wear, in sizes that actually fit?
Que us scouring the internet, asking all our friends, and doing the research to find the best new modern lingerie brands to ease the anxiety of wondering “Will it fit?” while making sure the clothing is ethically produced, and made for sustainable, long-term wear. This way you can feel good about treating yourself to something nice over the holidays. Go ahead, girl! Self-confidence looks great on you.
Here are a few brands you can start with:
- Upcycled Lingerie (a creative way to re-use recycled materials and turn them into new, super ethical fashion pieces)
$24 and up
- Non-wired bras and bralettes
- Sustainability Points: zero fabric waste, made from repurposed materials and eco-friendly packaging, size-inclusive (available in every size from 26AA to 36I)
- Kimonos for Everybody
- Cruelty-free, ethical underwear
- Sustainability Points: handmade in the USA , made with sustainable fabrics, and completely washable
- Custom Lingerie
- $38 and up
- Bra making work-shops for any size range
- Made-to-order bras and ethical underwear
- Sustainability Points: designed and locally made, made-to-order format helps to reduce waste
- Size-Inclusive Lingerie
- $36 and up
- A comfy, high-waisted undy we love
- Organic cotton
- Sustainability Points: partnered with I Support the Girls to donate thousands of bras to women in need
5. bare reverie
- Eco-Friendly Lingerie
- $16 and up
- Sustainability Points: natural fabrics (cotton, hemp, silk), locally manufactured
- Eco-Friendly Lingerie
- $20 and up
- Sustainability Points: hemp-based fabrics that use less water and energy than competitors, Peta-approved vegan, Green America certified business
We hope you love our list of sustainable, eco-conscious undy brands as much as we do. Do you have other favorite lingerie brands or resources you think we should know about? Anything you WISH you could find but haven’t been able to yet? Let us know!
Bio: Natalie Decleve is a bicoastal personal stylist and journalist specializing in living both sustainably and stylishly. Her global approach to style and commitment to the greater good are evident in her contributions to publications such as Mind Body Green, Harper’s Bazaar, SELF, Bon Appetit, A Hotel Life and her own site, Natty Style. Her natural philosophy on style is aimed at empowering her clients to look as authentically great on the outside as they feel on the inside. Follow @natty_style to get inspired.
Enter your email, and we'll plant a tree.
No cost to you, and one of the most effective ways to combat climate change.Plant A Tree