Ever since quarantine began, it seems like everyone has become a modern-day Martha Stewart.
Yeast and baking powder are sold out on store shelves, and sourdough starters are a hot commodity.
But what if you are not a baker and have no intention of becoming one, quarantine or not? And what if you don’t want to compromise your wellness just because we’re suddenly stuck inside all day? Good news: that does not mean you don’t deserve a sweet treat after a long day of working from home.
Check out these three insanely simple dessert recipes using easy kitchen ingredients. None of these recipes require an oven, or even any culinary skills at all. So feel free to leave #quarantinebaking up to everyone else and instead: make, eat and post a photo to your Instagram feed of these creamy treats in less time than it takes to preheat an oven.
1. Dessert Hummus
- 1 can of garbanzo beans, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp of tahini (optional)
- 2 tbsp vanilla almond or vanilla oat milk
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp unsweetened dutch cocoa powder
- Small pinch of salt
1. Combine all ingredients and blend together using a blender, food processor or immersion blender.
2. To adjust the thickness, add a splash of additional vanilla-almond or oat milk as needed.
3. Blend until you reach desired consistency.
4. Garnish with chocolate chips or any chopped nuts, a sprinkle of sea salt and/or a drizzle of maple syrup.
2. Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup dutch cocoa powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of maple syrup
- Splash of vanilla almond milk if needed for blending
- 1 tiny pinch of salt
- Coconut chips for garnish (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth using either a blender or an immersion blender.
2. Sprinkle with coconut chips if using, serve at room temperature or chilled.
3. Peanut Butter Banana Nice Cream
1. Peel the bananas, cut into slices and freeze overnight.
2. Using a food processor, blend bananas with peanut butter and serve immediately.
Download Our Free Guide to Sustainable Living.
From reducing waste to recycling and upcycling, our e-book shows simple ways to make choices you can feel good about.