Whether you’re wearing it for yourself or someone else, few things can make you feel more beautiful than some lovely lingerie.
Dressing up your feminine bits has been around since the late 19th century. Although the details have changed (bye-bye ankle length bloomers, hello thongs), the tradition holds strong.
Sadly, few things are more disheartening than trying to find said “lovely lingerie” in sizes that actually FIT. Suddenly, you may find yourself judging your figure according to retail norms and developing all kinds of yucky self-criticisms.
As it turns out, bra sizes don’t start at 34A nor do they end at 38 DD, and booties come in as many shapes and sizes as there are letters in the alphabet. So why is it so tough to find anything you actually want to wear, in sizes that actually fit?
Enter a new regime of modern lingerie brands to ease the anxiety of wondering, “Will it fit?” The clothing is ethically produced, so you can feel good about treating yourself to something nice this Valentine’s Day. Go ahead, girl! Self-confidence looks great on you.
Here are a few brands you can start with:
- Organic Lingerie
- $30 and up
- Sustainability Points: organic, fair-trade, made in America, biodegradable and size-inclusive
- Upcycled Lingerie
- $24 and up
- Sustainability Points: zero fabric waste, made from repurposed materials and eco-friendly packaging, size-inclusive (available in every size from 26AA to 36I)
- Kimonos for Everybody
- Sustainability Points: handmade in the USA and completely washable
- Custom Lingerie
- $38 and up
- Sustainability Points: designed and locally made, made-to-order format helps to reduce waste
- Size-Inclusive Lingerie
- $36 and up
- Sustainability Points: partnered with I Support the Girls to donate hundreds of bras to women in need
6. bare reverie
- Eco-Friendly Lingerie
- $16 and up
- Sustainability Points: natural fabrics (cotton, hemp, silk), locally manufactured
Do you have other favorite brands or resources you think we should know about? Anything you WISH you could find but haven’t been able to yet? Let us know!
Bio: Natalie Decleve is a bicoastal personal stylist and journalist specializing in living both sustainably and stylishly. Her global approach to style and commitment to the greater good are evident in her contributions to publications such as Mind Body Green, Harper’s Bazaar, SELF, Bon Appetit, A Hotel Life and her own site, Natty Style. Her natural philosophy on style is aimed at empowering her clients to look as authentically great on the outside as they feel on the inside. Follow @natty_style to get inspired.
The highest quality for the lowest cost.
Premium, healthy, sustainable products delivered right to your door. Free shipping on orders $25+Try 30 Days Free